Walk Then Run
Hi guys, Amy here aka Mutha Fitness! Running is something I’ve recently taken up and it’s a beneficial exercise for the overall maintenance of a good body. That’s what I’ve been told anyway, haha!
There was doubt about how I should start running. What are the pre-requisites before starting to run? I slowly realised that it helped me to walk then run. You may ask why? The answer is that walking helped me to warm up my body and get prepared for running. If you start running as soon as you start your exercise regime, you may get muscle cramps or you may get tired quickly. Walking for your health is simple, free and one of the easiest ways to get more active, lose weight and become healthier.
To get the best effects of running, first walk for about 15 minutes so that your whole body is ready to take the pressure and demand of running.
Benefits of walking before running
The major benefits of walking before running are:
- Getting used to the ground – If you walk before running you will get to know if there are any surface problems on the ground you are walking on, like small pot holes, pebbles etc. which you may not know are there while running and you may fall due to any such problems on the ground
- Warm up – Whenever we do any exercise we have to warm up our body so that we do not get any jerks from sudden exercise. So, I’d advise a walk of around 15 minutes will make all your body parts ready for the strain of running
- Avoid muscle cramps – When we walk then run, we help our body to avoid getting muscle cramps which happen mostly due to sudden jerks or exercises done without proper warm-up
- Proper clothes – If you first walk then run you will know the outside temperature and you can get back to home to get proper or extra clothes, otherwise if you are starting running straight away you may get exposed to cold or suffer from excess sweating
- Aggregating thoughts – Walking is a good way to aggregate all your thoughts of the day
- Get together – One major benefit of walking before running is that you may schedule your early morning get togethers with friends and neighbours while walking. Sometimes running immediately will give you shortness of breath and you may not be able to talk! So walking will serve dual purpose of getting warmed up for running as well as getting to know latest things and news from your friends
So walking before running is extremely beneficial and you should make it a daily habit to first walk then run. Have a nice healthy body and mind with a routine of walking and running. Once you’re up and running, checkout these fantastic running tips for more information.